Monday, April 30, 2012

Post @ how disks break down from the fluid from a herniated disk in the neck




THIS IS A POST THAT I FOUND....THAT REALLY SOUNDS A LOT LIKE WHAT, I AM GOING THROUGH...



I had similar issues about 3-4 years ago that the doctors thought was either a pinched nerve or carpel tunnel. I was working-out and playing more sports at the time, so that sort of masked the idea that it could be related to sax playing. What it ended up being was a herniated disc in my neck, which wasn't caused by - but was certainly made worse by, hanging a sax from my neck.

This problem started out minor and became worse. It starts out as a bulging or compressed disc, where the soft tissue starts to push out a little and comes in contact with the nerve roots that go to your neck, shoulders, arms, and hands. Eventually, the disc breaks down and fluid leaches out from inside (herniated) and causes an even greater interuption of the nerve roots. Picture a jelly donut that gets compressed until the stuff inside comes out.

Anyway - I don't want to alarm you, but I did want to mention this as a possibility because when I look up in the air, after about 10-15 seconds my arm is tingling like crazy (even the top part of my arm)  This was exactly the types of tests my doctor and physical therapist did which made them suspect it was a herniated disc. Then I had an MRI which confirmed it. If the doctors can diagnose this when the disc is still just bulging, then there are things they can do to prevent it from advancing to herniated (mostly physical therapy)

The good news is - even though mine was labelled as "catestrophic" in severity, I did not need surgery. I just went to physical therapy to focus on core strength - and yes - drink lots of water! Also - inversion therapy (where you hang upside down) helps tremendously.

http://www.studiospace.com/rcsq/


Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Hey, I got the same issues. Started about 2-3 months ago and it's robbing my sleep. Doctor? Not yet. I'm going for a body massage first then see what happens. Couple of things. My wife had surgery for carpel tunnel and it did help, but just.

For me, I had the scare of my life 3 years ago and I'm gun shy about things wrong with my body.
Spent a year getting tested by orthopedic doctors for pain in my arm running up to my shoulder and neck. All 5 Dr's said I needed my 6 & 7 disk replaced. I've never been in a hospital, let along cut. So, I was just about to make my appointment to get cut when a Dr friend suggested one more doctor, but this time it was a neurologist dr., someone who deals with nerve issues. Well he looks at my xrays & mri's and tells me that this issue is not my vertebrae's but a nerve in my elbow going through my elbow carpel. He gave me some new workouts and told me that if it doesn't clear up in a few months he would do some minor surgery on my elbow in his office. It cleared up.
Sorry for the long of it, but sharing this type of info could save some pain. This will be the DR I see if my hand & fingers numbness and pain don't stop.
I will repost after my massage.
f


Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
I'm dealing with something very similar in my left shoulder/arm for a few weeks. The tingling pain was bad enough that I thought I might have dislocated my shoulder- it seemed to me to radiate from there. And my hand felt weak- I couldn't grip stuff very strongly. I finally broke down and threw some cash at an MD yesterday- he thinks it's a pinched nerve in my neck. Ice helps a lot-- I was mistakenly using a heating pad before. Now less than 24 hours after seeing the MD and using ice every hour or so and I feel about 40% better. I was told I need to do mild stretches as well.

  Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Quote Originally Posted by JazzedView Post
I finally broke down and threw some cash at an MD yesterday- he thinks it's a pinched nerve in my neck.
If this a good MD it's worth taking your horn along showing him what he actually happens when you play.

A normal saxophone strap can put pressure on your spin and on the arteries at the side of your neck.
Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
I'm sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office right now as I'm writting this waiting to be tested for thoracic outlet syndrome. My entire left arm goes numb all the time. Even while I'm just sitting watching TV. It wakes me up at night, the arm goes so dead numb it wakes me up. Doesn't matter what position I sleep in. 6 months ago I got a huge blood clot from my shoulder down to my elbow. Been on coumadin since then and the numbness is better, not as severe.

 Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Steve,
I've had the exact same problem over the past few years. I've regularly seen a chiropractor for many years and this does seem to help with the problem. I started getting the same type of pain down into my feet recently as well, so I had full spinal X-Rays taken in order to find out if there was nerve impingement happening in the little holes the the nerves come out of on the sides of the spine (I forget the name of them). I was told that there was nothing really major wrong, probably just some nerves that are inflamed at the spine.

Nerve Inflammation can be controlled by several things- ice, anti-inflammatory drugs (Naproxin, Ibuprophin), and one of the best ways: an anti-inflammatory diet. (http://nutrition.about.com/od/dietsf...flamfood_2.htm)

If you are like most saxophonists then there is probably also some amount of carpal tunnel irritation happening with you as well. Besides Otto's very good stretches, I have found that I get a lot of relief from Graston soft tissue treatment from my chiropractor (http://davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2009...endonitis.html).

If your pain is also in your shoulder then the issue is most likely, as your doctor said, a nerve impingement in your neck. Controlling the inflammation as much as you can would definitely help, but another thing that might help would be THAI MASSAGE. I've gotten regular deep tissue massages for many years, but after discovering Thai massage I'll never do anything else. They say that Thai massage is like Yoga for the lazy man, they stretch you in ways that you would never do on your own. Thai massage can really open up bound up joints like nothing else. When your neck muscles get locked up from playing saxophone or from using the computer they will affect the nerves that go down your shoulder and into your arm and hand. Thai massage can do wonders.

Good luck Neff. I feel your pain, literally.
Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Well, I am going to the orthopedic surgeon on Monday. I've tried to go to others before, but they always want me to wait for hours and I don't have hours. Hopefully this time will be different. I hate the thought of elbow and wrist surgery, but last weekend the pain in my left wrist was so bad I couldn't use my left hand at all. It swelled up too for the first time. I'm hoping surgery will mean I can get back to playing. Hopefully you'll find a different fix for your problem Steve!

Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Well, they scheduled my tests for the wrong day so I had to reschedule for Feb 25th so I'm still waiting. The tingling and numbness in my hands isn't happening as much but now I have pain in the upper middle of my back and when I sit at the computer and type I get the tingling there in my back where my spinal cord is. When I touch that area there is a bump there that feels sore. My wife looked at it ( she's a nurse) and she thought it looked like there was swelling there. I guess we'll wait until the 25th and see what happens then. The arm still goes numb and tingles when I look up at about 25 seconds so I'm pretty sure it's a pinched nerve.
Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Oh, no, you mean it's spreading? I don't think that you are old enough to have all of these problems! Be sure and have your wife keep an eye on any spreading swelling. Like they say in the commercial, consult a physician if you have a swelling that lasts for more than four hours:-)! At least an MRI will give you a good idea of what is going on. Then come the tough choices on what to do about it. I've been resisting back, elbow, and wrist surgery for several years.....I'm thinking of throwing in the towel on two out of three, depending on what the surgeon tells me. That's assuming I don't walk out tomorrow because he kept me waiting too long. I hate doctor's offices because they don't know what the word "appointment" means! Good luck Neffmeister!
Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
I had tingling and numbness in two fingers of my left hand. A chiropractor friend of mine grabbed my forearm and the tingling/numbness went away. He said it was a twisted nerve, that it would go away in time. He was correct, but it took a great deal of time. A physical therapist probably could "fix" that and your back in a shorter period of time.

Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Well, the orthopedic surgeon is sending me for an MRI and X-rays on my elbow and to the neurologist for some nerve testing of my wrist and hand. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out within my lifetime!

 Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
I ended up having numbness in my left hand that progressed to my elbow. Then it moved to my right elbow and hand as well. Eventually the numbness became so bad that I could not lie down to sleep because my arms would go numb from the shoulder down (had to sleep sitting up). I went to see a chiropractor and got adjusted every few days for the first three weeks. My problem ended up being atrophy of the trapezius muscles that allowed some of the cervical and thoracic vertebrae to shift forward and down, pinching the nerves. I put myself on an exercise regimen to strengthen my entire body and I became 80% better within six to eight months. The last 20% came hard, but I overcame it. If I were you, I would talk to my chiropractor and doctor about exercises you could do to avoid surgery, if possible. If surgery is your only hope, then do it. If you have other alternatives, try those first. Exercise can do wonders, if you are willing. Good luck and keep us posted.
Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Still waiting for my Gemini Harness but I've made a decision never to get another massage. A day after I had it my sciatic nerve started acting up and now I've pain you would not believe. I guess I'll go to the neurosurgical guy and ask about this and the original problem of numbness and needles and pins in my left hand fingers. Old sucks!


 Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Advise on drinking water: By the time you are " thirsty " you are probably already dehydrated. It's surprising how many people don't like to drink water, but will drink everything else, like coffee, soda, booze...all of them dehydrate. Most of us do not drink even near the amount of water our bodies ( and brains ) require. Drink it a sip at a time, spread out your intake. If you just gulp down a whole glass or bottle of water, you will soon excrete most of it. I train fighters who, against my advice, will sauna and drink diuretics to lose those few pounds on water weight before weigh in. I have them use the drinking method above to replenish. Not drinking enough water can effect your energy, concentration and causes a whole list of physical problems. It's important to sax players to drink water when you are playing...especially if you drink on your gigs. Booze dehydrates!
I carry several bottles of water with me all the time. The body requires about eight, 8oz glasses of water a day. You will have more energy and will stay looking younger, as water hydrates the skin.
Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Regarding water- yes it is true most people don't consume enough. I have had issues with kidney stones, so I try to increase my intake as much as possible. My Nephrologist suggests that one quick way to know if you are consuming enough is that the urine should be nearly clear. If it is yellow or darker, you are not getting enough water.

For arm (or other pain) that is associated with playing. I would never take it lightly. One would not want to risk losing the ability to play. There are clinics which deal specifically with musician issues, such as

http://www.oehc.uchc.edu/clinicallin...iansclinic.asp

They can do wonders

 Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
I believe you do have to be v careful of any kind of tingling. Good luck Nefertiti.
Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Well, my elbow MRI showed a tear in my ulnar collateral ligament. That might help explain my theory that my ulnar bone is misaligned and splaying outward, putting pressure on my wrist ligament and pinching my median nerve. I was supposed to have the nerve tests done this week, but the neurologist made me wait over my limit(one hour) so I left. I have an appointment with another neurologist next friday........

Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Well spent a good hour with my neurologist last week to address my numbness and pain in my left hand. He did not think it was due to my neck strap. His guess is that in Dec & Jan we had a lot of snow which I used the snowblower and shovel for days and aggrevated the nerves in my left arm, mainly the wrist area. He put me on a steroid pack for a week. Seems to be getting much better. However, the same day my Gemini shoulder harness came so it's been a week. I'll never go back to the neck strap. It took me about 10 minutes to get it adjusted and I practiced for 2 hours like never before. Amazing how much I was wiggling and taking breaking because of the neck pressure. So, I guess it's good news for me, for now anyway. I wonder what's next? Another snow storm!
frank       





Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
I met with a neurologist today. He did a bunch of tests and thinks it's my neck. He's gonna send me to get a MRI to see whats going on in there. He also thought it would be a good idea to get one of my head to make sure it isn't related to another tumor or something. Better safe than sorry! The numbness and tingling has gone away for the last few weeks but now it is replaced with pain. It's in my neck, shoulder and arm..............
 Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Acupuncture is helping me - my excruciating pain is down by about 90% after 3 sessions. I was very skeptical but had several friends that said acupuncture worked for them. I'm now using a Gemini harness for tenor too, switching to a high stand sometimes. I should point out that my issues started after doing some heavy landscaping work and spending a lot of time at a piano.
Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
I just got back from the neurologist's office. Testing showed I have severe carpel tunnel in both wrists. He said I was too far gone for acupuncture(he does that too). I was afraid that waiting all these years meant severe permanent nerve damage and he confirmed that. To any of you out there that just started having problems, please don't be careless and keep putting it off like I did.

Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Quote Originally Posted by NefertitiView Post
I met with a neurologist today. He did a bunch of tests and thinks it's my neck. He's gonna send me to get a MRI to see whats going on in there. He also thought it would be a good idea to get one of my head to make sure it isn't related to another tumor or something. Better safe than sorry! The numbness and tingling has gone away for the last few weeks but now it is replaced with pain. It's in my neck, shoulder and arm..............
Hi Nefertiti
I've only just seen this thread now. MRI is the only way to go. Have to rule out cervical herniated disc or stenosis of the nerve root canal.

Hope you will soon know the problem and then be able to deal with it accordingly!
Best wishes
Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Quote Originally Posted by Pete ThomasView Post
Hope you can get it sorted. If it's your neck, then I would really recommend you look into the cebulla neckstrap as it keeps all pressure off the spine.
Thanks Pete. I'll check that out. I had a really hard time playing yesterday. My neck, upper back and shoulder were killing me. My MRI is on the 12th so we'll see what they say. I'd love to get this thing resolved.

Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
By the way I started doing these McKenzie neck exercises. They have taken away alot of the pain but now it seems like the tingling and numbness is even worse. The McKenzie exercises worked great for my lower back years ago also.

 Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
Well, depends on where the pinched nerve is. Mine are in my spine due to four bulging discs. I use an inversion table several times a day, which has been a God send for me. Thanks to it I don't normally need to walk with a cane anymore. If it's in your neck or shoulder, massage and chiropractic adjustments can be helpful.
Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
My carpal tunnel solution seems to be working on my left hand. I just received the ones for my right hand in the mail today. The orthopedic surgeon told me today that I should play wait and see before resorting to surgery.
Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?
You must be so frustrated by now Steve, and the insurance angle really just seems wrong. Good luck with the McKenzie exercises and any other suggestions you get. (I wish I had one for you.)



U know, after reading this and seeing how my symptoms really compare to someone that is having trouble with a herniated disk, in their neck. IT is unbelievable how I have FELT AND THOUGHT that this has been MOST of my problem ALL along! My Chiro friend was right, I believe. He said that I had a screw that was placed right on top of a nerve....in my neck and he also said that if, I didn't get it out...that I could/would lose the use of my arms and legs.:(*(
THEY can't SEE what is going on in MY NECK, because I have titanium plates in there, from my surgery of the C5-C6spinal diskectomy.
HOW AM I GOING TO GET THIS THOROUGHLY SEEN, IF I HAVE THE TITANIUM PLATES IN THERE COVERING IT UP? They will have to come out or a Camera put in to really get a visual of what is going on IN THERE!!
God Bless always...:)))<3 Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment